The Sullivans DD- 637 - History

The Sullivans DD- 637 - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The Sullivans
(DD-637: dp. 2,060, 1. 376'6", b. 39'7", dr. 13'9"; s. 35.2 k., cpl. 329; a. 5 6", 10 40mm., 7 20mm., 10 21"tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. Fletcher)

The Sullivans (DD-637) was laid down as Putnam on 10 October 1942 at San Francisco, Calif., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; renamed The sullivanB on 6 February 1943; launched on 4 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas F. Sullivan, the mother of the five Sullivan brothers, and commissioned on 30 September 1943, Comdr. Kenneth M. Gentry in command.

Following shakedown, The Sullivans got underway with Dortch (DD-670) and Galling (DD-671) on 23 December and arrived at Pearl Harbor five days later. During training operations in Hawaiian waters, the ship was assigned to Destroyer Squadron (DesRon) 62. On 16 January 1944, she steamed out of Pearl Harbor with Task Group (TG) 58.2, bound for the Marshall Islands. En route to Kwajalein Atoll, the group was joined by Battleship Division (BatDiv) 9. Two days later, as the American warships neared their target, picket destroyers were sent ahead to protect the main force from the enemy.

On 24 January, TG 58.2 arrived at the dawn launching point for air strikes against Roil For two days, The sullivanB screened Essex (CV-9), Intrepid (CV11), and Cabot (CVL 22) as they launched nearly continuous aerial raids. Thereafter, the destroyer continued her operations to the north and northwest of Roi and Namur Islands in the Kwajalein group until 4 February, when TG 58.2 retired to Majuro to refuel and replenish.

Underway at high noon on the 12th, The Sullivans screened the sortie of TG 58.2, outward bound for Truk. The same carriers whose planes had blasted Roi and Namur steamed in the van—Essex, Intrepid, and Cabot —now headed for the Japanese fortress base in the Central Pacific. From the time the group arrived at its launching point on 16 February, the carriers launched what seemed to be nearly continuous air strikes against Truk. "No enemy opposition of any kind was encountered," wrote The Sullivans' commander, "indicating that the initial attacks came as a complete surprise."

While the enemy may have been slow to react at the outset, they soon struck back—torpedoing Intrepid at 0010 on the 17th. The carrier slowed to 20 knots and lost steering control. The Sullivans, Owen (DD-536), and Stembel (DD-644) stood by the stricken carrier and escorted her to Majuro for repairs. Reaching Majuro on 21 February, the destroyer soon sailed on to Hawaii arriving at Pearl Harbor on 4 March for drydocking and upkeep.

Underway again on the 22d, The sullivanB covered the sortie of TG's 58.2, 58.9, and 50.15 from Majuro, bound for the Palaus, Yap, and Woleai Islands. On the evening of the 29th, while the American warships were approaching the target area, enemy aircraft attacked them but were driven off bv the antiaircraft fire from the ships. The next day, The SUtIiVa?ZB screened the carriers during air strikes and that evening helped to beat off a Japanese air attack.

After returning to Majuro for replenishment, the warship screened TG 68.2 during air strikes on Hollandia, Tanahmerah, Wakde, and Aitape to support amphibious operations on New Guinea. Late in April, The sullivanB participated in support of air strikes on the Japanese base at Truk. On the 29th during one of these raids, the Japanese retaliated with a low-level air attack. American radar picked up four Japanese planes 16 miles away, coming in fast at altitudes varying from 10 to 500 feet. When the planes came within range, Tha sullivans opened up with one 40-millimeter twin mount and aU five 5-inch guns. Two aircraft splashed into the sea due to the firing of the American ships, and one crossing ahead of The sullivanB waB taken under fire and crashed in flames off her port beam.

The sullivans arrived off the northwest coast of Ponape on the afternoon of 1 May and provided cover for the battleships led by lowa (BB-61) which bombarded the island. From the disengaged side of the screen, The sullivanB fired 18 rounds from extreme range at Tumu Point. She then noted three beached Japanese landing barges and shifted her fire to them. However, she received the general cease-fire order shortly thereafter.

During the task unit's retirement, The sullivans refueled from Yorktown (CV-10) and arrived at Majuro on 4 May. Ten days later, TG 58.2 sortied again— bound for Marcus and Wake Islands. Launching the first raid at 0800 on the 19th, the American carriers kept up nearly continuous air strikes with no enemy interruptions for three days. En route back to Majuro, The Sullivans and her sister destroyers conducted a thorough but unsuccessful search for a suspected submarine.

On 6 June, The Sullivans got underway again, bound for Saipan, Tinian, and Guam to screen carriers in conducting air strikes. On oecaSiOn while in the screen, The Sullivans' radar picked up enemy "snoopers" around the periphery of the formation—and before dawn at 0315 on the 12th, TG 68.2 shot down one in flames.

The second day's strikes against Saipan took place on the 13th to support the American landings there. Assigned to the duty of communication-linking station between task forces, The Sullivans remained within visual sighting distance of both TG's 58.1 and 58.2 during the day. That day, she picked up 31 Japanese merchant seamen after their ship had been sunk offshore and transferred these prisoners to flagship Indianapolis (CA-35).

On the 19th, Jananese aircraft attacked the task group. The Sullivans picked up a plane visually at a range of ._ss than five miles. "Judies," diving from 23,000 feet, pressed home their attacks. One, taken under fire by The Sullivans, took tracer fire from the ship's 20- and 40-millimeter batteries and, moments later, crashed just short of the horizon. American air attacks against Pagan Island, made without enemy retaliation, topped off the Saipan-Tinian-Guam strikes; and The Sullivans proceeded with TG 58.2 to Eniwetok for upkeep.

Underway on 30 June, The Sullivans resumed work in the screen of carriers launching air strikes to support operations against Saipan and Tinian. During this action, The Sullivans served as fighter direction ship for TU 58.2.4.

On Independence Day, The Sullivans joined Bombardment Unit One ( TU 58.2.4) to conduct a shore bombardment of airfields, shore batteries, and other installations on the west coast of Iwo Jima. The heavy ships in the group opened fire at 1500, and smoke and dust soon obscured targets along the western shore of the island, making spotting difficult. The Sullivans, second ship in a column of destroyers, opened fire at 1648 on planes parked on the southern airstrip. After three ranging salvos, the ship commenced hitting twin-engined "Bettys" parked in revetments along the strip. Five planes blew up, and eight other planes were probably damaged by shrapnel and burning gasoline. Minutes later, an enemy ship resembling an LST came under The Sullivans gunfire and caught fire astern. While Miller (DD-535) closed to complete the destruction of the enemy vessel, The Sullivans and the remainder of the bombardment unit retired and rejoined TG 58.2.

From 7 to 22 July, TG 58.2 operated south and west of the Marianas, conducting daily air strikes on Guam and Rota Islands before returning to Garapan Anchorage, Saipan, to allow the carriers to replenish bombs. Underway at dawn on the 23d, The Sullivans accompanied the task group as it sped towards the Palaus for air strikes on the 26th and 27th. She joined TG 58.4 for temporary duty on 30 July and continued air strikes until the 6th of August, when she joined TG 58.7, the heavy bombardment group, and operated with TF 34 until 11 August, when the group returned to Eniwetok for replenishment.

Early in September, as the Navy prepared to take the Palaus, The Sullivans supported neutralizing air strikes against Japanese air bases in the Philippines. At dawn on the 7th, she began radar picket duty for TG 38.2 and continued the task through the strikes of the 9th and 10th. From 1800 on 12 September, the ships noted an increase in air activity—observing many bogies which merely orbited the formations as snoopers. The carriers conducted further raids on the central Philippines on the 13th and 14th and then shifted course to the north to subject Manila to air attacks commencing on the 21st. Three days later, American planes again hit the central Philippines.

Returning to Tanapag Harbor, Saipan, at dawn on the 28th, The Sullivans went alongside Massachusetts (BB-59) for ammunition, provisions, and routine upkeep. However, the cross-swells in the anchorage swept The Sullivans hard against the battleship's steel hide, damaging the destroyer's hull and superstructure. Following brief antisubmarine patrol duty, she proceeded to Ulithi on 1 October.

While undergoing tender repairs alongside Dixie The Sullivans formed part of a nest of destroyers.blown away from the tender during a heavy storm which lashed the anchorage. The Sullivans drifted free downwind and got up steam "in a hurry." However, she collided with Uhlmann (DD-687). Many small boats were being tossed about, and The Sullivans rescued four men from Stockham's gig before it disappeared beneath the waves. As the storm abated on the 4th, the warship returned to Ulithi to complete the abbreviated tender overhaul alongside Dicie.

At 1615 on 6 October, The Sullivans sortied with the carriers and protected them during raids against targets on Formosa and the Ryukyus. On the evening of the 12th, as the planes returned to the carriers, radar spotted the first of many Japanese aircraft coming down from the north. For the next six hours, approximately 50 to 60 Japanese aircraft subjected the American task force to continuous air attacks. Nearly 45 minutes after sunset, The Sullivans sighted a "Betty," coming in low on the starboard side, and took it under fire. During the next 15 minutes, the formation to which The Sullivans was attached shot down three planes between 1856 and 1954, the destroyer herself took five planes under fire. Varying speed between 18 and 29 knots, the formation undertook eight emergency maneuvers. Again and again, timely turns and the great volume of gunfire thrown up by the ships repulsed the enemy air attacks.

The second phase of the attack began at 2105 on the 12th and continued through 0235 on the 13th. The Japanese increased the use of "window" to jam American radar transmissions while their flares lit up the evening with ghostly light. The formation made smoke whenever enemy flare-dropping planes aporoached, creating an eerie haze effect which helped baffle the enemy pilots. Meanwhile, The Sullivans and the other ships in formation executed 38 simultaneous turn movements at speeds between 22 and 25 knots as their guns kept up a steady fire to repel the attackers.

The next day, the carriers again launched successful strikes on Formosa. During the ensuing night retirement, the formation again came under attack by Japanese torpedo carrying "Betties" which struck home this time and damaged ~Canberra (CA-70). The Sullivans then helped to protect the damaged cruiser. On the 14th, "Betty" torpedo bombers scored against Houston (CW-81).The Sullivans Boon joined the screen which guarded the two battle-battered cruisers as they retired toward Ulithi.

Things progressed well until the 16th, when the Japanese mounted a heavy air attack to attempt to finish off the "cripples." Houston reeled under the impact of a second hit astern, and The Sullivans opened fire on the "Frances" which had made the attack and splashed the Japanese plane. The Sullivans and Stephen Potter (DD-538) then took a second "Frances" under fire and knocked it down off the bow of Santa Fe (CL-60).

The Sullivane rescued 118 Houston men and kept them on board until the 18th, when she transferred them to Boston (CA-69). While the damaged cruisers were making their way to Ulithi, a Japanese surface force attempted to close the formation before TF 38 intervened to drive them back. The Sullivans transferred salvage gear to Houston and helped with the ship's many wounded. For his part in directing the destroyer's rescue and salvage attemuts, Comdr. Richard J. Baum received his first Silver Star.

On 20 October, The Sullivans joined TG 38.2 for scheduled air strikes on the central Philippines in support of the Leyte landings. At dawn of the 24th reconnaissance located a Japanese surface force south of Mindoro, and the American carriers launched air strikes all day against the enemy warships. That morning, a Japanese air attack developed, and The Sullivan~s downed an "Oscar" fighter plane.

By 25 October, enemy forces were sighted coming down from the north, TF 34, including The Sullivans was formed and headed north, following the carrier groups in TF 38. At dawn on the 26th, the carriers launched air strikes to harass the Japanese surface units, now some 60 miles north. At 1100 TF 34 reversed course, topped-off the destroyers with fuel, and formed fast striking group TG 34.5 with lowa (BB61), New Jerseg (BB-62), three light cruisers, The Sullivans, and seven other destroyers. The American force missed the Japanese by three hours, but ran across a straggler and reported sinking an Atago-class cruiser. Japanese records fail to confirm the claim.

After sweeping south along the coast of Samar hunting for enemy "cripples," The Sullivans and other unite of TG 34.5 reported back to TG 38.2. The destroyer then remained in the Philippine area, screening the fast carriers and standing by on plane guard duties, through mid-November. At dusk on the 19th, during one of the many air attacks fought off by The Sullivans, the destroyer damaged a "Betty" by gunfire and watched it disappear over the horizon, smoking but stubbornly remaining airborne. Six days later, she had better luck when her guns set a Japanese plane afire and splashed it into the sea. Two days later, her task group returned to Ulithi.

The destroyer undertook training exercises from 8 to 11 December before rejoining TG 38.2 to screen its warships during air strikes on Manila and southern Luzon beginning on 14 December. On the 17th, running low on fuel, The Sullivans commenced refueling but, with the weather worsening minute by minute, she broke off the operation. A typhoon swept through the Fleet, with the wind clocked at an estimated 115 knots on the morning of 18 December. Three destroyers were sunk and several ships damaged by the winds and waves. The Sullivans—aided by the "lucky shamrock" painted on her funnel—emerged from the typhoon undamaged and, on the 20th, commenced searching for men lost overboard from other ships. The lingering bad weather resulted in cancellation of air strikes, and The Sullivans retired to Ulithi on Christmas Eve.

After a brief run to Manus and back, escorting lowa The Sullivans sortied from Ulithi on 30 December to screen TG 38.2's air strikes on Formosa in support of the American landings on Luson. Heavy seas forced a three-day postponement of a high-speed thrust toward the target originally planned for the night of 6 January 1945. During the evening of the 9th, the task force passed through Bashi Channel and entered the South China Sea. Three days later, carrier planes from TG 38.2 swept over Saigon and Camranh Bay, Indochina, hammering at whatever enemy merchantmen they found.

Soon after the conclusion of the air strikes, a bombardment group, TG 34.5, was formed to go after possible "cripples" and dispatch them by surface gunfire. Accordingly, two battleships, two heavy cruisers, three light cruisers, and 15 destroyers raced into Camranh Bay but found it devoid of Japanese shipping. Throughout the day, however, carrier pilots had better luck and enjoyed a veritable "field day" with ecastal marus. During subsequent air strikes on Hainan Island, Hong Kong, and Formosa, The Sullivans served on radar picket duty 10 miles ahead of the task group.

A brief respite for upkeep at Ulithi in late January preceded the ship's deployment with TG 58.2, covering the carriers as they launched devastating air strikes against the Japanese homeland itself, hitting Tokyo and other targets on Honshu on 16 and 17 February. From the 18th through the 21st, American carrier-based air power struck at Japanese positions contesting the landings on Iwo Jima. More strikes were scheduled for Tokyo four days later, but bad weather forced their cancellation. Retiring from the area, TF 68 fueled and commenced a high-speed run at Okinawa at noon on 28 February. Later that day, The Sullivans sighted and destroyed a drifting mine. At dawn on 1 March, Hellcats, Avengers, Dauntlesses, and Helldivers pounded Japanese positions on.Okinawa. The ships of the task force encountered no enemy opposition from sea or sky and soon retired towards Ulithi.

The Sullivans sortied 12 days later, bound for Kyushu and southern Honshu to support the invasion of Okinawa. Once again screening for TG 68.2, The Sullivans stood by as the carriers launched air strikes on 14 March. On 20 March, The Sullivans fueled from Enterprise (CV-6) at 1152, clearing the carrier's side five minutes later when a kamikaze alert sent the ships scurrying. At 1439, The Sullivans commenced maneuvering to go alongside Enterprise again—this time to pick up a part for her FD radar antenna. Soon, however, another enemy air attack scattered the ships. As a line had not yet been thrown across to the carrier, The Sullivans bent on speed and cleared her as other ships in the task group opened fire on the attackers. A Japanese plane plunged through the antiaircraft fire and crashed into Halse1y Powell (DD-686) astern as that destroyer was fuelling alongside Hancock (CV19) . The stricken destroyer lost steering control and started to veer across the big carrier's bow, and only rapid and radical maneuvering on Hancock's part averted a collision.

The Sullivans soon closed Halsey Powell to render emergency assistance. She slowed to a stop 11 minutes later and lowered her motor whaleboat to transfer her medical officer and a pharmacist's mate to Halsey Powell, when another kamikaze came out of the skies apparently bent on crashing into The Sullivans. At 1610, the destroyer's radar picked up the "Zeke" on its approach, and, as soon as the motor whaler was clear of the water, The Sullivan leapt ahead with all engines thrusting at flank speed.

Bringing right full rudder, The Sullivans maneuvered radically while her 20- and 40 millimeter guns sent streams of shells at the "Zeke," which passed 100 feet over the masthead and escaped. Meanwhile, Halsey Powell managed to achieve a steady course at five knots; and, with The Sullivans, she retired toward Ulithi. lIowever, their troubles were not yet over. At 1046 on the following day, 21 March, The Sullivans picked up a plane, closing from 15 miles. Visually identified as a twin-engined "Frances," the aircraft was taken under fire at 10,000 yards by The Sullivans' 5-inch battery Halsey Powell joined in too and, within a few mo meets, the "Frances" crashed into the sea about 3,000 yards abeam of The Sullivans. At 1250, a combat air patrol (CAP) Helleat from Yorktown, under direction by Halsey Powell, splashed another "Frances." At 1320 a CAP Helleat from Intrepid, directed by The Sullivans downed a "Nick" or "Dinah."

On 25 March, The Sullivans and Halsey Powell arrived at Ulithi, the former for upkeep prior to training exercises and the latter for battle repairs.

The warship next rendezvoused with TF 68 off Okinawa and guarded the carriers supporting the landings on the island. While operating on radar picket duty on the 15th, the ship eame under enemy air attack, but downed one plane and emerged unscathed. She eontinued eondueting radar picket patrols for the task group, ranging some 12 to 25 miles out from the main body of the force. On the afternoon of 29 April, she commenced fueling from Bunker Hill, but a kamikaze alert interrupted the replenishment, forcing The Sullivans to break away from the carrier's side. During the ensuing action, Hazelwood (DD-531) and Haggard (DD-555) were both struck by Japanese suicide planes, but survived.

Kamikazes continued to plague the ships of TG 58.3 as they supported the troops fighting ashore on Okinawa. Everything from landing craft to battleships was fair game for those Japanese pilots determined to die for their emperor in a blaze of glory. On the morning of 11 May, a kamikaze crashed into Bunker Nill. The Sullivans promptly closed the carrier to render assistanee and picked up 166 survivors. After transferring them to ships in TG 50.8 and replenishing her fuel bunkers, she helped to screen TG 58.3 during air strikes on Kyushu.

In a morning air attack three days later, the gallant old warrior Enterprise was hit by a kamikaze. Four enemy planes were shot down in the melee—one by The Sullivans in what proved to be her last combat action during World War II.

The Sullivans anchored at San Pedro Bay, Leyte Gulf, on 1 June for recreation and upkeep. She departed Leyte on the 20th, bound, via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, for the west coast. The destroyer arrived at Mare Island, Calif., on 9 July and, two days later, eommeneed her overhaul. She thus missed the final fleet activity which rang down the curtain on the last aet of the war. Worn down by a series of blows delivered by Ameriean seapower and stunned by the all but unlimited destructive power of two atomic bombs, Japan capitulated on 15 August, ending the war.

Meanwhile, since the return of peace greatly reduced the Navy's need for warships, The Sullivana was deeommissioned at San Diego on 10 January 194~soon after her overhaul was completed—and she was placed in the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

The destroyer remained there until May 1951, when she began reactivation work which prepared her for recommissioning on 6 July 1951. The destroyer soon headed south, transited the Panama Canal, and pressed on northward to her home port, Newport, R.I. During the winter of 1951 and 1952, the warship conducted training exercises off the east coast and in the Caribbean.

Late in the summer of 1952, The Sullivans departed Newport on 6 September, bound for Japan. Proceeding via the Panama Canal, San Diego, Pearl Harbor, and Midway, she arrived at Sasebo on 10 October but got underway the next day to join Task Force 77 off the eastern shores of Korea. The ship served in the screen of the fast carriers launching repeated air strikes to interdict enemy supply lines and to support United Nations ground forces battling the communists. Remaining on this duty until the 20th, The Sullivans steamed to Yokosuka, Japan, for a brief refit.

After a cruise to Buckner Bay, Okinawa, The SuUivans rejoined TF 77 on 16 November to resume screening activities and plane guard duty. She supported the carriers as they made the northern-most stab at North Korean supply lines, approaching within 75 miles of the Soviet base at Vladivostok. MiG-15 fighters approached the task force, but combat air patrol Grumman F9F "Panthers" downed two of the attackers and damaged a third in history's first engagement between jet fighters over water.

The destroyer arrived back at Sasebo on 5 December. On 14 December, she joined United Nations forces blockading the Korean coasts—interdicting seaborne traffic and bombarding shore targets both to support United Nations ground troops and to interdict enemy supply operations. Arriving in Area "G" the following day, The Sullivans made contact with the enemy on the 16th off SongJin, an important rail terminus and supply center. For the next few days, she bombarded trains and tunnels and frequently opened fire to destroy railroad rolling stock and depots and to prevent repairs to tracks and buildings.

On Christmas Day 1952, as The Sullivans scored direct hits on a railroad bridge, she was taken under fire by communist gunners ashore. Fifty rounds from enemy guns failed to touch the ship, although nearmisses showered the warship's decks with shrapnel. Counter-battery fire from the ship destroyed at least one of the troublesome shore batteries.

The Sullivans departed Yokosuka on 26 January 1953. On her way home, the warship ealled at Buckner Bay; at Hong Kong; Subic Bay; Singapore; Colombo, Ceylon; Bombay, India; Bahrein; and Aden, before steaming through the Red Sea, transiting the Suez Canal, and proceeding via Naples to Cannes, France. After a brief fueling stop at Gibraltar, the warship arrived at Newport on 11 April.

The destroyer operated out of her home port well into the summer of 1953, before deploying to the Mediterranean for a tour of duty with the 6th Fleet. She remained on this duty through the end of the year and returned to Newport on 3 February 1954 for operations off the east coast and into the Caribbean through May 1955. She again deployed to European and Mediterranean waters from May to August of that year before returning to Newport late in the summer.

In the years that followed, The sullivanR continued alternating east coast operations with Mediterranean deployments. The summer of 1958 saw a communist threat to the security of Lebanon, and President Dwight D. Eisenhower ordered American ships to land troops there to protect Amerieans and to help stabilize the tense situation. The Sullivans supported the landings of marines at Beirut, Lebanon. After their presence had dispelled the crisis, she returned to the United States for a three-month navy yard overhaul and subsequent refresher training in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Back at Newport in March 1959, The Sullivans joined a hunter/killer group based around Lake Champlain

(CV-39). Then, after making a midshipman training cruise in which she conducted antisubmarine warfare operations, the destroyer sailed for another Mediterranean deployment which lasted until she returned home in the autumn.

Operations out of Newport occupied The Sullivans until the spring of 1960 when she headed south for ASROC evaluations off Key West, Fla. During this deployment to southern climes, the warship helped to rescue five survivors from a crashed Air Force KC-97 Stratotanker which had splashed off Cape Canaveral.

Following NATO exercises in September, The Sullivans visited Lisbon, Portugal, prior to a quick trip through the Mediterranean, Suez Canal, and Red Sea, to Karachi, West Pakistan. In late October and into November, the veteran destroyer participated in Operation "Midlink III," joint operations with Pakistani Iranian, and British warships. After returning to the Mediterranean, The sullivanR conducted exercises with the French Navy and with the 6th Fleet and reached home in time for Christmas.

In January 1961, The sullivanR assisted in the sea trials of Abraham Lincoln (SSBN 602) off Portsmouth N.H., before steaming south and taking part in Operation "Springboard." While in the Caribbean, she visited Martinique. Briefly back at Newport early in March, The sullivans soon returned to the West Indies to support marine landing exercises at Vieques, Puerto Rico.

In April, the ship began intensive training in the waters off Florida to prepare to cover a Projeet Mereury spaceshot. The sullivans joined Lake Champlain (CVS-39) at Mayport, Fla., and took station. On 5 May 1961, Comdr. Alan Shepard's space capsule passed overhead and splashed down near Lake Champlain and was speedily rescued by helicopters from the carrier. The sullivans then made a midshipmen cruise in June, visiting New York and Halifax, Nova Scotia.

From September 1961 to February 1962, The Sullivans underwent a major overhaul in the Boston Naval Shipyard. She proceeded to Guantanamo Bay soon thereafter to train for duty as a school ship. She subsequently served as a model destroyer in which officer students could see and learn the fundamentals of destroyer operation. In May and again in August, The Sullivans made training cruises to the Caribbean for the Destroyer School.

In October, after Soviet missiles were discovered in Cuba, The sullivanR joined American naval forces blockading the island during negotiations with the Soviet Union over the issue. When the Soviet Government withdrew the strategic weapons, the destroyer returned to Newport.

On 7 January 1963, The sullivans got underway from Newport bound for the Caribbean and another training cruise. Following her return to Newport, she conducted local operations for the Destroyer Sehool. The tragic loss of nuclear submarine Thresher (SSN-593) off Boston on 10 April 1963 caused the destroyer to support emergency investigations of the disaster.

For the remainder of 1963 and into the first few months of 1964, The sullivans continued to train officer students. On 1 April 1964, the destroyer was transferred to the naval reserve training force, and her homeport was changed to New York City. Departing Newport on 13 April, the warship proceeded to New York and took on her selected reserve erew. Her cruises with the reserves embarked were devoted mostly to ASW exercises and took the ship to Canadian ports such as Halifax, Nova Seotia, St. John, New Brunswiek, and Charlottetown Prince Edward Island, in the north to Palm Beach, Fia., in the south.

On 7 January 1965, The sullivans was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. She remained in reserve into the 1970's. In 1977, she and cruiser Little Rock (CG-4) were processed for donation to the eity of Buffalo, N.Y., where they now serve as a memorial.

The sullivans received nine battle stars for World War II service and two for Korean service.

Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park
One Naval Park Cove
Buffalo, New York 14202
(716) 847-1773
Fax: (716) 847-6405
Email: [email protected]
Latitude: 42.8776470449, Longitude: -78.880470137
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

USS The Sullivans is named for five brothers who lost their lives in the Battle of the Solomon Islands when their cruiser, USS Juneau (CL-52) was sunk. She is an excellent example of the Fletcher class, the largest and most important class of U.S. destroyer in World War II, forming the backbone of destroyer forces throughout the war.

The Sullivans served with distinction in World War II, taking part in intense combat, rescuing downed aviators, and earning nine battle stars for her service.

After deployment in Korea, the Cuban blockade, and the rescue efforts for the sub Thresher, she was laid up. Acquired by the City of Buffalo, The Sullivans is displayed on the city’s lakefront with USS Little Rock, USS Croaker, and an array of aircraft and military vehicles.

Save ‘The Sullivans’ – Famous WW2 Destroyer in Danger of Being Lost

THE CUSTODIANS OF a historic warship facing an uncertain future are hoping social media users will unite to help keep the vessel afloat.

USS The Sullivans (DD-537) is a 78-year old Fletcher-Class destroyer that saw action in both World War Two and Korea. Since 1977, the vessel has been maintained as a museum ship by the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park in Buffalo, New York, along with the light cruiser USS Little Rock and the submarine USS Croaker.

Earlier this year, park officials announced that after decades of exposure to the elements, the vessel is taking on water.

Paul Marzello, president and CEO for the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park is appealing to the public to raise $1 million to help repair The Sullivans.

“A full bow-to-stern survey of the ship’s hull was conducted and an engineered plan developed for the necessary repairs,” said Marzello. “It involves applying a two-part epoxy coating to the entire hull below the waterline and the installation of a cathodic protection system that will prevent further corrosion.”

The Sullivans is named in honour of the five Sullivan brothers who died together on the light cruiser USS Juneau in the Solomon Islands in 1942. Although U.S. Navy regulations prevented siblings from serving on the same vessel, the brass made an exception when the brothers agreed to enlist only if they could remain together.

On Nov. 13, the Juneau, which had already been heavily damaged in combat off Guadalcanal, was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine after withdrawing for repairs. The ship foundered in just 20 seconds there were only 10 survivors.

Security concerns prevented the parents from learning of their sons’ deaths until January, when a trio of naval personnel arrived at the Sullivan home in Waterloo, Iowa to deliver the grim news. The boys’ father Tom asked which of his sons had been killed the officer-in-charge reported that all of them were dead.

In the wake of the tragedy, Tom and mother Alleta Sullivan became America’s most famous Gold Star Family. The two delivered speeches across the country at factories and shipyards.

How Melissa Gilbert Feels About Going From Size DD to ‘Just an Average B’

Health concerns prompted Melissa Gilbert to remove her breast implants.

Melissa Gilbert Opens Up About Removing Breast Implants

— -- Melissa Gilbert is used to being in the spotlight.

The 50-year-old actress who, for a decade, played Laura Ingalls Wilder on the iconic TV series, “Little House on the Prairie,” grew up before our eyes. She's starred in a string of TV movies and even served as president of the Screen Actors Guild.

Lately, Gilbert has been making headlines for her decision to have her breast implants surgically removed earlier this month.

In an interview with ABC News, Gilbert talked about her decision to downsize from a cup size DD to a B.

“Just an average B, not a big B,” Gilbert said.

Gilbert said she’d had implants for 20 years -- first saline, then silicone. Insecurity about her physical appearance set in long before she underwent any operations because she was a “late bloomer,” she said.

In her last couple of years of her time on “Little House on the Prairie,” Gilbert said she played an adult version of her character.

“It was just an assumption that it was time to wear a padded bra, that an A-cup was not enough. I had to be a B,” she said.

“So you imagine the message in my head is like, ‘OK, well, these are not right,’” she said.

Making matters tougher, her on-screen nemesis and off-screen friend, Alison Arngrim -- who played Nellie Oleson on the show -- was developing physically, while she wasn’t, Gilbert said.

“There was a huge difference," Gilbert said. "I was wearing, like, you know, Speedo one-piece bathing suits. She was wearing all these sort of sexy bikinis and stuff. I was nowhere near that,” Gilbert said.

She added: “She's a year older than me and she's wearing bras.”

Gilbert has written on her blog that after her first son was born and she had finished breast-feeding, her then-husband made negative comments about her chest. After the divorce, she decided to have breast implants when she started dating again.

The implant surgery went well, but in 2004, she started reading how implants should be replaced every 10 to 15 years, she wrote. Hers were already 12 years old.

Removing the implants has brought benefits, said Gilbert, who appeared on season 14 of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

“Not only do I feel healthier and better, but I don't have these inappropriately large breasts that were wrong for my body, kind of getting the way,” she said. “I sleep more comfortably. And the bonus is I have disc issues in my neck. And I have absolutely no pulling on my shoulders. And all the pain in my neck has completely disappeared since the surgery."

Gilbert said her third husband, actor Timothy Busfield, has backed her decision.

“My husband has been so supportive and so sweet about this whole process . He said, ‘Do it, go. Go,” she said.

Now that the removal is over, her husband “seems perfectly happy,” Gilbert said. “I don't think he's mourning or grieving anything.”

Although she removed her implants, Gilbert said she’s not against them, but she hopes women who are considering such augmentation consider all the risks before going under the knife for what is major surgery.

“The one thing that the medical community will admit to is that breast implants will not last forever in your body. And have to be replaced,” she said. “When you're getting the implants, you're making a commitment -- not just to that operation, but [to another one] every 10 to 15 years.”

She agreed that women likely don’t consider that aspect when they’re first considering breast enhancement.

“And when they hear it, ads on the radio, like I did in the car the other day, ‘We're having a special for $4,000 for implants,’ women go, ‘Oh my gosh, $4,000 for implants, that's great.’ But you don't realize that 10, 15 years from now you're going to have to do it again. And again. And again,” she said.

The Sullivans DD- 637 - History

From the book, "Tales of the USS CONKLIN DE 439"
by M. E. Oseas McNamara

( The USS Conklin DE 439 had been heavily damaged, nearly sunk in a typhoon off Okinawa June, 1945, and had to return to the United States for repair. On the last section of her trip, her last voyage, she was escorted by the Sullivan Squadron)

The CONKLIN had been escorted from Pearl Harbor back to the United States by the Sullivan Squadron of 5 destroyers consisting of the USS The Sullivans DD-537 with the USS Miller DD-535, USS Owen DD-536, USS Stephen Potter DD-538, and the USS Tingey DD-539.

The squadron was named for the 5 Sullivan brothers, Albert, Francis, George, Joseph and Madison, who had grown up together in Iowa, enlisted in the Navy together in response to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and had insisted on serving together on the same ship despite the Navy’s reservations.

The brothers were assigned to the cruiser USS JUNEAU CL-32, and in November of that year the ship was torpedoed and sunk. All 5 brothers were killed in that battle at Guadacanal in a story too sad for me to bear to repeat. Only 10 of the nearly 800 crewmen of the USS JUNEAU survived.

When President Roosevelt heard of the JUNEAU disaster and the fate of the five brothers, he was profoundly moved. He wrote to their parents that an entire nation shared their sorrows. The President directed that the next ship to be commissioned be named the USS THE SULLIVANS, not the more usual “USS Sullivan”. President Roosevelt wanted the name to capture the essential ingredient of the story - the commitment and self-sacrifice of a family of average Americans stirred to great deeds.

That the CONKLIN was escorted home from the war by the Sullivan Squad is replete with meanings. My Dad would have been 15 and a sophomore in high school when he learned of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Many of those who became the crew of the CONKLIN were so young then. Imagine, if you cannot remember, the emotions of young men, and what urges to protect family and country must have been stirred in their hearts to hear of such an assault. Think what they saw next, as their fathers, brothers, cousins, uncles, and neighbors changed before their eyes from someone they thought they knew into something else.

Ernie Pyle writes about it best, this transformation, in his book 'Brave Men'. Warfare reveals a deep part of a man’s soul. A part he knows is always there, but that the rest of us rarely or never get a chance to see. And I think that part is his true self, for good or bad, and he knows it.

It is with a sense of wonder that I think about the men I knew as I was growing up, my relatives and neighbors, and try to imagine these family men who I remember from summer picnics and Thanksgiving dinners as they must have been in WWII. There is my Uncle Jimmie Rauch, paint salesman and football fan. I try to imagine him as a waist-gunner on a B17 Flying Fortress in North Africa as his plane screams through the air amid a hail of enemy fire. I think about my gentle Uncle Bob Frank, good father and husband, now so quiet, and I try to picture him in the middle of bloody chaos as an infantryman crawling through the mud of Europe, and as witness to hell when liberating the concentration camps at Dachau. And even now I look at my neighbor William Hultgren who lives alone with his cat, and who is getting a bit bent and gray with age. As he walks slowly in the slanting morning sun to get his mail I wonder what he did to win his Bronze Star at the Battle of the Bulge. He won’t tell me.

I think about these things and I am jealous. And sad. Because I realize that I could know these men, or my Dad, for decades and still at some level never understand them as well as I would if I had spent one week with them in combat in WWII.

Something deep in Thomas and Alleta’s five boys responded too, when their close friend was killed on the USS ARIZONA during the attack on Pearl Harbor. The Sullivan brothers became instantly famous when they enlisted together, and they appeared in moviehouse newsreels and papers nationwide, including my Dad’s hometown of Pittsburgh. I know this because a young woman from Pittsburgh, Margaret Jaros, wrote to one of the brothers, Joseph “Red” Sullivan, when she saw his picture in the newspaper. He answered her letter, and they corresponded frequently after that. In May of that year, 1942, JUNEAU shipmate Bob McCann headed home to Pittsburgh on liberty, and Red, with his brother Francis Sullivan came along. Red paid a call on Margaret, and after a brief courtship they became engaged.

I’m sure, then, that the boys of my Dad’s parochial high school in Pittsburgh, almost all of them poor and Irish Catholic, were very aware of the Sullivan brothers who were so much like themselves. They must have had a special bond to them, seen them as symbols of who they were and who they hoped to be.

In the hearts of my Dad, Uncle Jimmie and all of boys of North Catholic high school of Pittsburgh, in the hearts of all the young boys of that generation, when they learned at the end of 1942 that the JUNEAU had been sunk and all five Sullivan brothers had been killed in the battle for Guadacanal? There had to be a wave of horror and fear at this terrible news. But you already know what they did. They enlisted. My father even enlisted prematurely, “during his minority”. And since most of the crew of the CONKLIN were young men his age, who had only turned old enough to enlist in mid-war, they must have been influenced by the sacrifice of the Sullivan brothers too.

Many years later, my Dad’s life would be touched indirectly by the Sullivan brothers again. Long after the war, two of my father’s close friends would be Mr. and Mrs. Bill Dietrich. Mrs. Angie Dietrich had been born Angeline Caracciolo in Galeton, Pennsylvania. Her brother, Anthony “Tony” Caracciolo F1c was lost on the USS JUNEAU along with the Sullivan brothers. Tears will still come to Angie’s eyes when she speaks of her brother, and not long ago she traveled half way across the world to place a wreath on the waters where Tony died. There is no sense of time in the heart. There is no past. It is all now.

May I also here tell the young and foolish who belabor under such illusions of past and present that the brave, handsome, innocent, muscular, strong, funny, frightened, loving, determined young men of the CONKLIN are all still here. When a man ages, the young man does not leave but is merely added-on-to. We don’t loose parts of our soul, we only acquire them. If you are speaking to a silverhaired grandfather and fail to see the passionate serviceman within him, it is not because that brave young man has gone, it is only because of your own failure to evoke him.

So perhaps in some symbolic way the Sullivan brothers that led the young sailors of the USS CONKLIN DE 439 out to the war also brought them home. When I try to picture it I see the CONKLIN in her haze gray and black camouflage paint and battered decks steaming across the huge flat expanse of the Pacific seas, the waters slate gray and embroidered like swiss lace with small white burst of sea foam. Around the CONKLIN like guards around a quarterback I see the 5 ships of the Sullivan Squadron, bright in the morning sunlight. But as quick as I imagine them, I can’t help it, I see the shades of the Sullivan brothers themselves, so tall they could hold the destroyers in their hands like toys. Maybe they do. They are wearing their jaunty blue dress uniforms with those improbable ribbons on their hats, and have that gregarious smile the Irish have even when they are sober. Especially then, perhaps. Looming over the Sullivan brothers I see more figures. These figures are incredibly tall. I have the sense that they are protective, and gentle, but they are so huge that I can’t make them out. I don’t think I’m supposed to be able to make them out. Not yet, anyway. I think they are angels.

The Story Of Frederick Morris And Clifford Farr Of The USS CONKLIN DE 439
In The Typhoon Of June 1945

With good reason, sailors dread violent storms at sea, which are called hurricanes in the Atlantic, typhoons in some parts of the Pacific and cyclones in others. In combat they can cause more devastation than the enemy, which is even recognized in the word “Kamikaze’. The origin of the word ‘Kamikaze” is from an oriental name of a typhoon that saved 14th century Japan from an invasion when it swept away Kubla Khan’s ships.

Typhoons are a common event in the far Pacific, but 2 typhoons in particular are remembered for the devastation they caused the United States Navy in WW2. The first of what have been called “Halsey’s typhoons” occurred in December of 1944, during which 3 destroyers rolled over and sunk. Despite the efforts of Admiral Halsey and the nascent meteorological service he instituted, the US Navy was caught in a second severe typhoon in June of 1945 when ships from Admiral Jocko Clark’s Task Group 1 which had been bombing Okinawa sortied east to meet a huge fleet train of supply ships several hundred miles east of Japan.

The following, is just one of the thousands of stories of courage and heroism that occurred in both typhoons as men battled for their lives and the lives of their fellow sailors.

After a night of high seas, wind and storm, the typhoon of June, 1945 reached it’s peak in the dark early morning hour of 5AM, at which time a freak wave hit the destroyer escort USS CONKLIN DE 439 and rolled her onto her side. The ship rolled more the 72 degrees, and lost all power. By rights the ship should have continued to roll and sink. A freak wave reportedly knocked the ship upright again.

Inside the crippled ship men were tossed like matchsticks in the dark, and Anthony J. Monti S1c was killed when he was thrown violently against a bulkhead. Outside, 4 brave men who had been attempting to pilot the ship were swept overboard from the Flying Bridge. Two of these were Lt. Peter Nicholas Meros, Gunnery Officer, and Rudolph Andrew Slavich S1c, who gave their lives. Also swept overboard were the young sailors Bridge Talker Frederick Morris GM2c and Signalman Striker Clifford Farr S1c. This is their story.

The righting of the CONKLIN by a freak wave was not the only miracle that occurred that day.
There were two more.

The CONKLIN had a rubber raft with an outboard motor. The raft was tied to the side of the ship. They had traded the Seabees for it, giving them a water motor-scooter they never used. It was strictly illegal, but .

The CONKLIN also had regulation life rafts, rectangular and made from cork. When the ship rolled onto her side in the fury of the typhoon, a life raft tore loose from the starboard side, and the rubber raft tore loose as well. Because of these rafts, two lives were saved.

“A gunner’s mate was washed over the side and washed back onto the fantail. I think his name was Morris. He was a bridge talker.”

What follows is the story of Frederick Morris after he was washed overboard. To listen to him narrate his story in his deliberate, thoughtful, and wondering tone gives chills down the spine. His own incredulity at what happened, 55 years after the fact, is evident.

“I was on watch on the Flying Bridge. You couldn’t talk to the other people on the Bridge because of the noise from the storm. I had speaker phones on. I saw this huge wave coming, and I thought -didn’t everybody see it? I had to push Lt. Meros to get his attention, and I pointed at this huge wave off the port bow. Then this monstrous wave flipped us over on our side.

The water pushed Meros and me into a corner. It was so terrific I thought - how can we take it? I thought our ribs might break. Then I was floating around on the top of the ship. All I could see was white. I was holding onto the phone, it was all I had to hold on to. I figure I got this phone so I pulled on the wire so I could pull myself over to where it was plugged in. I pulled on it, and I just got a dead end.

Then I was just going over the side of the ship. There were two openings, one on each side of the Flying Bridge to come in and out, that’s where we came out and down of. I was frightened I would hit something on the way down the side of the ship, but there was nothing, the ship must have just laid down on her side.

Then I was in the water and I saw a cork pontoon floating by me, and a rubber raft we had got a couple weeks before. They were both right there, can you believe it? I had to make a choice which one do I grab? I got on the rubber one, which was probably the worst thing you could possibly do in a typhoon in those 120 mile per hour winds because they would flip it and send it flying. But the ship had rolled over starboard and believe it or not the water behind it was as calm as a millpond because of the how the wind was playing and the ship was like a wall.

I saw the ship -rolled to her side - coming at me. I could reach up and then all of a sudden I saw the ship coming down some more and I gave a leap and grabbed a scupper but the ship kept rolling over and I went underwater.

There were some life lines underwater and I grabbed a rail wire on a post and hung on. I could hold my breath pretty good. I was thinking “ How deep am I? -I’ve got to let go, is the ship sinking?“ That would be the end of me so I let go and came up 50 to 80 feet away from the ship. I had my life jacket on and I had my rain gear on over that, but the life jacket made me pop right up to the surface.

It’s just unbelievable what happened next but when I came up God help me the raft was right behind me again -can you believe that? I grabbed it and jumped up.

The ship was going past me. I was about 20 feet out and I saw guys running out on deck and hollering at me to jump, but I said I can’t jump, it was too far. Then believe it or not the ship drifted aft back at me. Now I was about 10 feet out and I waited to the last second and I thought ‘I’ve got to take a chance and leap.’ I didn’t have much time. A wave came at me again. I got a little closer and gave a leap and I grabbed a gunnel. Some man grabbed my arm. Then I was laying on the deck heaving water. I didn’t know I had even swallowed any until it came up. “

“On the stern of the ship, at the rear ,was a “Screw Guard’, made out of 2.5 inch pipe. The propeller goes outside the hull, and the Screw Guard was a pipe frame welded to the hull around the propeller to keep it from hitting anything when we came into dock.

I was standing with the depth charge racks between us, which was safer and we saw this fellow coming to us on a raft. We were still rolling pretty hard. I went over the side rail and dropped down on the screw guard and put my arm out and grabbed him.”

But the young signalman Clifford Farr was still lost.

The teenage Farr had washed off the other side of the ship than Morris, into turbulent, raging seas and lashing rain. That, or the swirling currents had spun him around to the other side of the ship. All he knows is that one moment he was standing by Lt. Heller on the Bridge, and the next he was hurling through the air. A split second later he was plummeting into the dark waters. He fought his way to the surface. He was close to the overturned vessel, and saw a cork raft being buffeted against the side of the ship. He grabbed it and tried to hold on.

“Another look out striker, no older than me, got washed off the Conklin and made it to a cork life raft. It was a net of ropes with cork . We had a chance to talk to him. He said when he was in the water he couldn’t breathe because of the spray and the raft kept turning over.”

In the darkness of early morning the boundary between sea and sky itself must have been blurred and almost lost for the young sailor, with the foaming, breaking waves and torrential rains spun horizontal by the force of the typhoon. Clifford Farr was saved by the cork raft, and by his own determination.

“I read somewhere that I was out there 3 hours, but that’s not true. It was more like 30 minutes. I wouldn’t have lasted that long. It wasn’t the cold, it was that it took so much energy. I was a good swimmer, but that would have been too long for anybody.”

During the typhoon the ships of the convoy had tried to stay miles apart to avoid collision. Farr was an almost invisible single point tossed in dark night seas, lost much of the time below the line of sight in the depths of the troughs of the waves. Without signal lights or flares, and with the howling winds obliterating any shout for help, his chance of rescue was virtually nonexistent. But in the third truly inexplicable event of this day he was seen and rescued by another destroyer escort, the USS Donaldson DE 44.

Tuesday 5 June 1945.

0715 - Sighted man on raft dead ahead all engines stopped. Maneuvering to pick up man.

0720 - FARR, C.S. off CONKLIN taken aboard, treated for shock and immersion.

Clifford Farr S1c:
“They threw a line down. ..2 sailors, that were tied down to the ship from the inside. After I got on the ship I slept for 12 hours.”

The typhoon continued for hours, but the worst was over.

(Footnotes) Morris had gone over the side of the ship that was rolling into the water. In eerie coincidence the USS Donaldson DE 44 had a virtually identical experience in the typhoon of 12/44 as the Conklin had in the typhoon of 6/45, including the loss of 3 men and a roll of 78 degrees. When I suggest the hand of God saved Farr, Morris and the CONKLIN, in no way do I mean to imply that He abandoned Meros, Slavich and Monti who died. God reminded Job that we can not understand His ways. For all we know, these three men are much more fortunate than we are.

Update May 24, 2001

Since this article was written, Ms. McNamara has learned that George Caracciola, the brother of Tony Caracciola of the USS JUNEAU who died with the five Sullivan brothers, is a member of DESA. He served aboard USS HAMMANN (DE131). Angie (Caracciola) Dietrich says that George was reading his copy of DESANews (where this article first appeared in the Sept.-Oct. 2000 issue) and saw her and his brother's name and called up Angie.

Update January 30, 2003

Mr. Frederick W. Morris, 82, of Niantic, CT, died Friday, January 17, 2003.

Derek Chauvin Bio, Wife, Kids, Suicide, Height, Police History

The world witnessed the death of countless African-American people at the hands of White-Americans. Never in history, the movements against it got so intense until the death of George Floyd on 25 May 2020. The profile of Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis officer who took George Floyd’s life, surfaced out in public. And it revealed multiple faults on his part in his 19-years of a career as a police officer.

This Derek Chauvin bio delves into the details of his life, a career as a police officer, and his suicide watch.

Derek Chauvin Bio: Age, Birthday, Zodiac

Derek Chauvin was born on 19 March 1976. He turned 45 years old while celebrating his birthday in March of 2021.

Per his date of birth, he occupied Pisces for a zodiac sign.

Wiki — Parents, Siblings, Family

Derek Chauvin was born to his father Robert Michael Chauvin and his mother Carolyn Runge in Ramsey, Minnesota. Staying married for almost a decade, his parents parted ways after their divorce. Following the divorce, his mother remarried.

No further details on Derek’s parents were shared as of the time of penning this wiki on Derek’s life and career. And, that included the details on his possible siblings.

Height, Weight, Distinct Features

The Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin stands at a height of 5 feet 9 inches (1.75 meters) with an approximate bodyweight of 63 kilograms (140 lbs).

Did Derek Chauvin Know George Floyd?

Derek Chauvin worked several jobs while serving Minnesota as a police officer. He briefly worked in real estate and also moonlighted as a bouncer at a Latin nightclub named El Nuevo Rodeo.

The former owner of the club, Maya Santamaria revealed George Floyd also worked for the same club, but in a different place. George worked in the club at least until last year.

Though working for the same owner, never there was the slightest chance, they ran into each other.

Moreover, the previous owner also reported about Derek’s way of dealing with African-American clients. She mentioned talking with him regarding his actions, several times.

And as she watched the video of him keeling on George Floyd, it shocked her to see it happen.

Derek Chauvin Suicide Watch, Arrested, Charges

Following the racist encounter between Derek Chauvin and George Floyd, George lost his life to police brutality, particularly in the African-American community.

The degrading video released on the day of the murder showed, Derek, kneeling on the neck of George for 8 minutes 46 seconds, with the latter facing down on the ground. Though George uttered difficulty in breathing which he faced, Derek avoided his request eventually killing the man in the same position.

Soon after the death, protest for justice for George ignited inside the major cities of the United States starting from Minneapolis. Derek Chauvin and all three of his partners were fired from the job after the civil unrest.

On the 29th of May 2020, Mike Freeman, a Hennepin County Attorney revealed that Chauvin faced third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter charges.

Following the arrest, authorities kept him in Hennepin County Jail. Just hours after that, he was transferred to a department of corrections facility in Oak Park Heights.

Immediately after the arrest, TMZ reported he was put through an unclothed body to look for hidden contraband. They put him in a single cell and constantly watched him over. The room also had cameras 24/7 keeping an eye on him with officers monitoring the feed.

Many confirmed the circumstances as a mere standard procedure necessary to meet. However, other officers confirmed they paid close attention to him for possible suicide attempts.

Derek’s first court appearance schedule marked on 6 June 2020.

Derek Chauvin Guilty Verdict

His trial began on 8th March 2021. A Minnesota judge even authorized cameras to show a full criminal trial.

On 20th April 2021, a jury consisting of 12 people (6 black and 6 white) found Derek guilty on 3 charges unintentional second-degree murder third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. Also, his sentencing hearing is planned to be in June 2021.

Derek Chauvin Police History, Wayne Reyes

As soon as Derek graduated from the police academy, he started his career as a police officer at the Minneapolis Police Department in 2001.

His police history showed he had open fired on two people. He also faced 20 complaints with two letters of reprimand filed against him during his 19-years of career.

In 2006, Derek and six other officers opened fire on a stabbing suspect, Wayne Reyes, after a chase. They shot him multiple times which led to his death on the spot. At the time, the grand jury justified the action during a court hearing as Wayne pointed a shotgun at the police officers.

Two years later in 2008, Derek shot Ira Latrell Toles following the response to domestic violence.

Derek Chauvin Wife, Kids, Divorce

Derek Chauvin met his wife Kellie at the Hennepin Medical Center. The on-duty officer Derek was in the medical center for a health check-up of a suspect before locking him up in prison.

Derek Chauvin’s wife Kellie Chauvin filed for divorce (Pic:

After putting his suspect in jail, Derek returned to the medical center to ask Kellie out for a date.

Kellie is a Laotian refugee who first moved to Thailand’s refugee camp before moving to the states. In 2019, she secured the title of Mrs. Minnesota, the first woman to do it of Hmong descent. At the time of penning this piece, she worked as a licensed realtor.

Derek and Kellie tied knots in 2010. At the time, she had had two children out of her first marriage.

On 29 May 2020, Kellie Chauvin’s lawyer released a statement. The statement revealed she had filed for divorce. Furthermore, she requested the safety and privacy of her children and her extended family.

The USS Croaker SS-246 is a decommissioned Gato-class submarine that served in World War II.

SS-246 is on the National Register of Historic Places and represents the U.S. Navy’s “silent service.” One of 77 Gato class submarines constructed, she was part of the most lethal submarine class of WWII. Commissioned in 1944, she celebrated her 75 th birthday in 2019. Conducting six war patrols in the pacific theater, she sank 11 Japanese vessels, four of which were capital or military vessels, and seven auxiliary or support vessels.

She is not in her original WWII Configuration, as after WWII she was converted to a “hunter-killer” submarine with added sonar, radar and quieting capabilities to combat the Russian threat during the Cold War. She was decommissioned in 1971 and brought to the Buffalo Naval Park in 1988. Head below to see what it was like to be part of the 80-man crew.

USS Gherardi (DD 637)

Converted to High Speed Minesweeper DMS-30 on 15 November 1944.
Reverted back to DD-637 on 15 July 1955.
Decommissioned 17 December 1955.
Stricken 1 June 1971.
Sunk as a target off the coast of Puerto Rico 3 June 1973.

Commands listed for USS Gherardi (DD 637)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Lt.Cdr. John William Schmidt, USN15 Sep 19424 Dec 1943 ( 1 )
2Lt.Cdr. Neale Roland Curtin, USN4 Dec 19439 Dec 1944 ( 1 )
3LCdr William Wade Gentry, USN9 Dec 1944 ( 1 )

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Gherardi include:

16 Dec 1943
HMS Spirit (Lt. A.W. Langridge, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Larne with USS Butler (T/Cdr. M.D. Matthews, USN), USS Doran (T/Cdr. N.E. Smith, USN) and USS Gherardi (T/Cdr. N.R. Curtin, USN). ( 2 )

Media links

ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.

Sullivan’s Island Was the African-American Ellis Island

The African Passages exhibit opens March 22 at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. NPS photo.

Charleston, South Carolina, was North America’s main port of entry for African slaves, and hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children who endured the Middle Passage and ended up at the slave markets were first quarantined on Sullivan’s Island. On March 22, Fort Moultrie National Monument will begin telling this painful story with its new “African Passage” exhibit.

Through most of the 1700s – between about 1707 and 1799, to put a finer point on it – the slave ships and other ships arriving in Charleston harbor with diseased passengers or crew members were subjected to strict rules of quarantine. This was because of the severe hazard posed to the general populace by virulently infectious diseases like cholera, smallpox, and measles.

The new arrivals were either quarantined aboard ship or in “pest houses” on Sullivan’s Island, a barrier island on the north side of the harbor. Being quarantined at Sullivan’s Island was the “welcome to America” experience for thousands upon thousands of incoming slaves, making the place a sort of macabre “Ellis Island.”

About 40 percent of African-Americans alive today can trace their ancestral roots to West Africa through the Sullivan’s Island/Charleston gateway. This is, oddly enough, about the same percentage of white Americans whose ancestors were processed through Ellis Island.

Incomplete records suggest that not less than 200,000 African men, women and children who endured the Middle Passage – and perhaps almost twice that many – entered Charleston harbor on slave ships, were processed through quarantine and the slave markets, and ended up at various locations throughout the South (most famously on the rice and cotton plantations).

Fort Moultrie National Monument, an NPS property administered by Fort Sumter National Monument, is situated at the southern end of Sullivan’s Island. Famous for its roles in the Revolutionary War (first defeat of attacking British warships) and the Civil War (first shots fired on Fort Sumter), Fort Moultrie is well situated in space and time to tell the story of the Middle Passage, the Sullivan’s Island/Charleston gateway, and slavery in the Sea Island region. It will soon be doing this with a dramatic new museum exhibit called “African Passage.”

The African Passage exhibit will have many facets, including Middle Passage charcoal drawings by Thomas Feelings, Gullah art by Jonathan Green, and various artifacts such as West African objects, leg shackles, and a slave identification badge.

Thanks to dogged research by historians Ed Ball and Joseph Oplala, African Passage is able to tell the amazing-but-true story of a slave named Priscilla and her 7th generation granddaughter’s return to her ancestral home in the West African country of Sierra Leone. Priscilla came to America by way of Sullivan’s Island. As NPS exhibit planner Krista Kovach-Hindsley explains, Priscilla’s story “puts a face on those oppressed by slavery.”

While the NPS is providing the venue, it was the private sector that made this exhibit possible. The Committee of Descendants, a foundation that historian Ed Ball and his family established, put up the seed money for the project five years ago. Another local NGO, the Remembrance Committee of Charleston, also played a key role.

African Passage will be opened for public viewing on Sunday, March 22. A program beginning at 3:00 p.m. will celebrate the occasion with music, drumming, and light refreshments.

For more information, call the park at (843) 883-3123. In case of inclement weather, the kickoff celebration will be moved inside to the auditorium.

Postscript : Savannah-born historian/author Edward “Ed” Ball, co-founder of The Committee of Descendants foundation and a main driving force behind the African Passage exhibit, is an interesting guy with a remarkable family story. Ball’s forebears include five generations of slave-holding plantation owners, and Ball has visited Sierra Leone where many of the nearly 4,000 slaves his family owned were born. Unlike many southerners who quite understandably find the subject of black-and-white sex on the plantations too sensitive to talk about, Ball has researched the matter in some considerable detail. He has calculated that many of the 75,000 to 100,000 African-Americans who are descended from slaves held in bondage on various Ball plantations in South Carolina are, in fact, his blood relatives. If you’re interested in the details, read Ball’s first book Slaves in the Family , which earned him the 1998 National Book Award. You might also like to read his new (2007) book T he Genetic Strand: Exploring a Family History through DNA .

Traveler trivia, no extra charge : Fort Moultrie is the only NPS-administered property at which visitors can trace the entire history of America’s seacoast defense from 1776 to 1947.

“You can have a kid or job” perfectly explains parenting right now

Posted On July 08, 2020 22:05:14

In Ray Bradbury’s non-fiction book Zen and the Art of Writing, he reveals how he once tried to write in his garage during the summer but quickly became distracted by his kids wanting to play with him all the time. Bradbury was a good dad, and so, he played with his kids when they came to bother him in the garage, even if it meant his writing didn’t get done. In the essay “Investing Dimes,” Bradbury reveals his solution was to create a kind of office for himself away from home where he could get some work done. And so, he retreated to a library where he could rent typewriters by the hour by popping in a dime. The result was the novel Fahrenheit: 451.

I’m no Ray Bradbury, but I am a writer, and writing for the internet is my job. I’ve been working from home on and off since my daughter was born in 2017, and before the COVID-19 pandemic struck, I also faced this problem: Writing in the garage just doesn’t work because my kid is just too damn cute. And so, I started renting a desk at a local co-working space. But then, COVID-19 happened. And now, like so many working parents across a variety of professions, I’m back to working at home, which means the work I’m doing is constantly being put in conflict with my parenting. In a new piece for the New York Times, writer Deb Perelman puts it like this: “In the COVID-19 Economy, You Can Have a Kid or a Job. You Can’t Have Both.”

That’s a headline that captures the story — the story of parents right now — and it started a huge trend on social media the second it was published. It’s so obviously true it’s not even funny. People like Perleman, myself, and the late Ray Bradbury are somewhat lucky compared to most American parents insofar as I can type this little essay out on the back steps of my house, hunched over, while my toddler is sleeping and my wife is getting some much-needed downtime. But my working hours are all over the place. There’s never really a time I’m not working and that also means there’s never really a time when I’m being present for my kid either. This is what the COVID-19 economy has done for parents in all kinds of professions. It’s turned us into people desperate to hold onto our jobs, but unsure how we’re going to do it.

As Perelman points out, when and if public schools re-open, it won’t be easy on parents to make decisions, and yet, the outrage is almost non-existent. “Why isn’t anyone talking about this?” she writes “Why are we not hearing a primal scream so deafening that no plodding policy can be implemented without addressing the people buried by it?”

Why not indeed? Perelman’s main points are familiar to most parents. While there’s a giant public debate over how one should behave, there’s a reality edging closer to parents’ viewpoint which isn’t about what should happen, it’s more about what will happen. “I resent articles that view the struggle of working parents this year as an emotional concern,” she writes. “We are not burned out because life is hard this year. We are burned out because we are being rolled over by the wheels of an economy that has bafflingly declared working parents inessential.”

Which is pretty much what has happened at this point. Parents need to keep making money to keep their families going, to keep their kids safe. But there’s no real infrastructure from our governments and institutions to help us figure that out. Despite centuries of so-called “progress,” families are essentially still on their own when it comes to figuring out how to fend for their kids. On some level, we know this, and it’s what we signed up for. But what the world seems to have forgotten is that it’s very obviously not even remotely fair. The economy has always been situated to basically scam American families, but what the pandemic has revealed is just how deep that scam goes.

Everyone who is living now had parents of some kind. The kids of today, the kids we are fighting for in this pandemic have an uncertain future. And that’s because parents are invisible workers. Relatively speaking, Bradbury had it easy. This generation of parents has it bad. And it’s only when everyone admits it that things will get better.

This article originally appeared on Fatherly. Follow @FatherlyHQ on Twitter.

Watch the video: The Sullivan Brothers